Thursday, March 7, 2013

Book Review: Roar and Liv by Veronica Rossi

I picked up "Roar and Liv" the other day to give me something to read while I waited for "Requiem" by Lauren Oliver to come out. There's something about novellas that subtly add to the main series, and since I loved Roar and Liv's relationship in "Under the Never Sky" and "Through the Ever Night" (check out my review here!), I thought it'd be worth a quick read.

After a childhood spent wandering the borderlands, Roar finally feels like he has a home at the Tides. His best friend Perry is like a brother to him, and Perry's sister, Liv, is the love of his life. Roar doesn't know what he'd do without Liv, even if his friends' brother, Vale, the Blood Lord of the Tides, doesn't approve of their relationship. And when Roar discovers that Vale intends to marry Liv off to another tribe to save the Tides, he knows nothing will stop him from saving Liv and their love, even if it means his whole life will be shattered.

I loved the fact that the novella was told from Roar's point of view, because he's such a likable and strong character in the series, and it was interesting and great to get into his mind. Above all, I could definitely see his love for Liv, which I never doubted throughout the entire series. Roar's character is also clearly present in his narrative voice, with undertones of humour and wit that makes him all the more likable. And that's what I like about reading prequel or in-between novellas: they give you more depth and insight into a character you've never had the chance to get to know on such an intimate and personal level, and that was without a doubt the case with Roar.

Even though I knew what was going to end up happening with the whole Roar and Liv situation from "Through the Ever Night", I still found myself caught up in the story. Seeing their romance and how they interacted just added layers of emotion and history to what I'd read earlier in the books, and I almost wish that I'd read the novella before reading the sequel!

I'm keeping this short and sweet (I'm letting myself get away with this since it's a novella!), but I definitely thought that it was worth a read, which is why I slipped in the time to write another review today! I'd highly recommend spending a half hour or two reading "Roar and Liv", no matter which point in the series you're at.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment