Thursday, March 7, 2013

Book Review: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

It's kind of amazing how books provide an escape route from hectic everyday life. I've had mock exams the past couple of weeks, and each and every day was dedicated to studying and revising and more studying! Luckily, I had "Opal", the third book in the "Lux" series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, to keep me company when the going got tough. Not to mention that books sometime remind you that your normal life can't possibly be worse than life-risking scenarios involving aliens and seedy government agents.

Now that Daemon's finally confessed his feelings for her, shedding his arrogant, condescending facade to show Katy how he really feels about her (or at least for a few hours a day), things should be okay for Katy. But instead, her mom's boyfriend Will has run away after kidnapping her to force Daemon to heal him, and Blake, her 'friend' who also tried to kill her, has also disappeared. Not to mention Dawson's reappeared after being held captive by the Department of Defense. Now, Katy and her friends are closer to discovering the truth, putting them in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids: Daedalus.

One thing that I really like about the "Lux" series is Katy's narrative voice. It's so conversational, it's like she's really talking to you. She's funny and bookish, and I love the fact that she's a book blogger! I remember finding out that she reviews books in "Obsidian", the first installment of the series, I was a little surprised because I've never encountered a character who's a book blogger. In a way, it's a little jarring because it's kind of Inception-like... But I digress. Katy's a great heroine to follow throughout the story because she's so real and down-to-earth. I also thank the literary lords that she's not one of those whiny, weak female protagonists, which seem to appear in YA paranormals from time to time. Instead, Katy's strong and determined, even a little stubborn sometimes, and she's a really likable character.

I do have to admit that a good quarter of the book consisted of Katy and Daemon making out. While it's exciting to have a few steamy scenes sprinkled here and there, I felt like there was a little too much in "Opal". Yeah, I get that Daemon's super hot and saucy, and hormones are up and running strong and high, but a little more moderation would've been nicer. That being said, Katy and Daemon's relationship is also so unbelievably sweet! Daemon still has his characteristic cockiness and wit, but at the same time, he also shows his vulnerability and true feelings for Katy. I almost died of envy when I read about Daemon's little post-prom surprise date he set up for Katy.

Which brings me to the ending. I definitely don't want to give anything away, but THE ENDING!!! I just knew something like that was going to happen--I just hope in the next book it won't turn out that predictable story of...well you'll see. Other than the ending, the storyline remained pretty engaging throughout, even though the main focus, I think, was on the developments of the different relationships between all of the characters. Event-wise, I don't think there was too much that really happened. There were maybe around five main 'big plot points', but other than that, it was really about the various characters...and Katy and Daemon making out.

Overall, "Opal" is a great third installment to the "Lux" series, with a witty, likable narrative voice and an engaging storyline...not to mention lots of kissing. I'd definitely check it out if you've read the first two books in the series, or like unique YA paranormals that don't involve werewolves or vampires.

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment