Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Book Review: Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I have to admit, when I first picked up Jennifer L. Armentrout's "Lux" series, I wasn't expecting too much. I thought I'd be in for a possibly whiny, slightly pathetic heroine who falls head over heels in love with the mysterious hottie who makes her heart flutter and head swoon and yadda yadda yadda. Instead, I found myself blown away. There's something about the characters and the plot of the entire series that you can't help but go gaga over, and "Origin", the fourth and latest installment that I, admittedly, drooled over. And in the good way, at that.

Daemon will do anything to have Katy back. After the disastrous raid on Mount Weather that got Bethany back but Katy captured, all Daemon can do is think about the book-blogging, crazily stubborn girl he's in love with. Everything becomes about finding her, and he'll stop at nothing to rescue her. All Katy can do is survive. Trapped in Daedalus's headquarters with enemies, Katy knows that she has to adapt and play along--or she'll be subject to torture. But the group's goals don't seem entirely crazy, and some of their truths are frightening. Who are the real enemies? Daedalus? Mankind? The Luxen? With the walls closing in, Katy and Daemon know that time is running out.

One of the main reasons I so thoroughly enjoy reading the "Lux" series is that I absolutely, positively, 100% love the characters. With each book, I find myself becoming more and more obsessed with them. Seriously. There's just something about them that makes them endearing and exciting. Take, for example, our heroine Katy. What I love about her is that she's compassionate, but at the same time, strong, not to mention doggedly stubborn! And did I forget to mention that she's a total book nerd--just like me and probably like you! There are just so many things that the average reader can relate to in Katy, whether it's her personality or quirks or actions, and it's what makes her character so real. The same can be said about Daemon, especially since we get to see his point of view from the chapters told in his perspective. Daemon has always been an awesome character from the start: He's snarky in a way that makes me snort and giggle, but at the very core is sweet, protective and selfless. The other characters, like Dee, Dawson, Beth, the Thompson siblings, Archer and Luc (the list goes on!) are great as well; the way they interact with each other just screams 'dynamic relationship', and it's really just plain awesome.

But going back to Katy and Daemon, just wow, they are one super sexy pair! I was utterly enraptured by the development of their relationship in "Origin". There's no more denial or resistance between the two, like there was in the previous books, and now it's just all-out, fierce devotion to one another. It's especially telling that the two aren't even physically together in the first third of the story, yet you get an extremely clear picture of how they feel about each other. And when they are together--damn. The chemistry that Ms. Armentrout creates between Katy and Daemon is amazing, from the sexual tension to the sweet protectiveness, not to mention their tongue-in-cheek banter! They just work together so well, and in a way that makes their romance real. What I mean by this is that you don't get that typical sappy love story, where the sudden urges to claw at each others' clothes seems forced and almost laughable. Instead, what Katy and Daemon have is natural and believable. Which is probably why I want to be a part of their relationship. And that's not creepy at all.

The plot of "Origin" was simply breathtaking. There was never a dull moment, and everything was just fast-paced and exciting, even when there wasn't any actual action in the chapter. There's always something happening, whether it's physical or emotional, and that's what made the storyline so compelling. The twists and turns in the plot certainly help, too! My heart was racing as each of the characters unearthed all of these revelations and dealt with so many shocking things (I dare not say more lest I spoil it for you!); just trust me when I say that there's some crazy stuff going on, and you don't want to miss out. What did kind of catch me off guard, though, was the ending. It seemed a little sudden and out-of-the-blue, like, "What's going on??" I think it might've been a little less so had Ms. Armentrout orchestrated it somewhat more smoothly by creating more build-up to the final scene. Other than that, however, the storyline was intense and exciting!

All in all, "Origin" is an exhilarating continuation of the "Lux" series, jam-packed with endearing characters, a seriously sexy romance, and a thrilling plot that swept me off my feet. I strongly recommend checking out the series--I daresay it's one of my favourite YA series! It just kind of sucks big time that the next book won't be out until next year...what am I going to do with my life.

Rating: 5/5

P.S. I don't know about you, but the book trailer had shivers running down my spine!!


No comments:

Post a Comment