Saturday, September 29, 2012

Book Review: Destiny Binds by Tammy Blackwell

Wow, it's really been a while since I last posted a review, huh? Senior year at school has been pretty busy lately, so I've only been able to slip a few chapters here and there throughout the week. Now that the long four-day weekend is here, I've been able to devour the rest of the book I was reading--"Fate Succumbs" by Tammy Blackwell. The unfortunate thing is that this was the last in the self-published Timber Wolves trilogy, so since it's a little strange writing a review for the last book when I haven't reviewed the first two, I've decided to review the first book instead! I re-read "Destiny Binds" quickly this morning, just to freshen up my memory so I could share with you this great, compelling trilogy.

Scout Donovan will never be the picture definition of 'normal'. Born with white-blond hair, pale-as-ghost skin, and ice blue eyes, Scout isn't a social butterfly at high school, and her smart-alecky attitude doesn't help with that either. Scout Donovan is a girl who believes in logic, rules and her childhood love for Charlie Hagan. Alex Cole is a boy who believes in magic, destiny and Scout. When he introduces her to the world of Shifters and Seers, Scout discovers that every single thing in her life--her family, her friends and herself--is about to change.

Now before you think, "Oh geez, not another werewolf book," stop. It really isn't. It doesn't have a sappy love story you secretly want to live in but detest at the same time. What really sets "Destiny Binds" apart from the other paranormal werewolf novels is the protagonist herself. One of the most important things for me in any novel, and especially in young adult novels, is the narrative voice. Scout isn't one of those annoying, whiny, my-life-is-about-to-change-and-this-guy-has-soul-sucking-eyes heroines. Instead, she's a witty, kick-ass girl who you wish you were friends with. Her references to pop culture made everything more relatable, and her humour, which worked wonderfully in her interactions with Alex, had me giggling and snorting throughout the book.

As a matter of fact, I loved pretty much all the characters. The relationship between Jase and Scout was incredibly believable, and made me wish I had a brother myself! Talley is just such a sweet girl, and Angel--oh, Angel--is just a mischievous bundle of evil that reminded me of my own sister. The one thing that was a little iffy for me was the relationship between Charlie and Scout. Maybe it's because I'm a die-hard Alex fan, but it seemed a little awkward to me. Having read the rest of the books in the trilogy, however, I do see a more believable development in their relationship, so I have no qualms there.

Plot-wise, the story was a little predictable at times, but unavoidable in that respect. In fact, isn't that what paranormal romances are kind of about? Again, though, he trilogy as a whole is definitely not predictable at all, and even the ending--the ending!!-- of "Destiny Binds" had me gasping and crying the whole way through.

There were a few punctuation and grammar mistakes (sorry, this is the editor in me speaking!)--I'm pretty sure the past tense of "drag" is "dragged" and not "drug"--but it wasn't enough to interfere with the well-written storyline.

All in all, "Destiny Binds" is an incredibly fun, great read with a fast-paced plot that kept me flipping through the pages with unbelievable speed. The characters are awesome, and I guarantee that Scout's wit and personality will coax out more than a laugh or two. I strongly, strongly recommend the entire trilogy. Trust me, it will suck you in and keep you there.

Rating: 5/5

The other two books in the trilogy--aren't the covers beautiful?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Heheh glad you like it! So much love for you and everyone, Kitty (:

      Delete