Friday, May 3, 2013

Book Review: The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

Okay, so I know the whole vampire fad is a thing of the past now, but trust me when I say that this is one that you can't dismiss. I read "The Immortal Rules" when it first came out, eager to read anything by Julie Kagawa after practically devouring "The Iron Fey" series--in-between novellas included. At first, I was a little skeptical. I mean, vampires? Didn't that trend begin and end with "Twilight"? ... Five chapters in, and I was hooked. A kick-ass heroine, unique take on paranormal bloodsuckers and a seriously creepy bad guy? Yes, please. The second installment of the "Blood of Eden" series, "The Eternity Cure", was released earlier this week, which, of course, meant that I had to get my hands on it and finish it ASAP.

Only a few months have passed since Allison Sekemoto chose between death or a new life as a vampire. And only a few weeks ago, Allie turned away a chance at a peaceful life in Eden with the group of survivors she'd grown to care for, including Zeke, the strong and compassionate human she still can't get out of her head. But she has vowed to rescue her sire, Kanin, who is being tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of his blood leads her back to her past--New Covington and the Fringe, as well as her brother vampire prince who may become her wary ally. Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she's never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is threatening humans and vampires alike.

I have, without fail, loved every single one of Ms. Kagawa's main characters, and Allie and her friends are no exception. Allie is an incredibly strong, determined heroine who is just so likable and believable, especially as she struggles with her thirst for blood and the humanity she's fought to keep. Plus, she fights with a katana. I've always wanted to learn how to fight with a sword of sorts, and being able to experience that vicariously through Allie as she slices her way through rabids and evil mole men is just plain thrilling (pathetic of me, I know). And I don't know whether it's because I'm Asian, but having an Asian main character just makes her extra unique, since it's not often that you see a lot of them in YA novels! Asian ramblings aside, I also loved reading about her romance with Zeke. Ms. Kagawa develops their relationship in a way that's not cliched or tiresome to read about, and that final chapter literally brought tears to my eyes! That's how invested I am in Zeke and Allie's relationship--I love the way he helps her keep her humanity in check, and how their romance isn't overbearing or sappy, and the main focus really remains on the plot at hand.

I don't think this review would be complete if I don't mention Jackal. My goodness, I completely fell in love with his character! Sure, Zeke's kind and strong and lovable, but Jackal is just as endearing in his own way. Despite the fact that he was a callous, cruel vampire raider king in "The Immortal Rules", Jackal is portrayed in the sequel as someone who's quick-witted, even funny, and does harbour emotions, albeit buried deep, deep down inside. I absolutely love his wit and dry humour, and his sarcasm had me laughing at some places. Not to mention, he's perfect for bantering with Allie. While he might not be an all together 'good' person, he's definitely more complex than a simply cold-hearted vampire. But really, his devil-may-care attitude was what really did it for me. I cannot wait to see more of him especially in the next book!

The storyline of "The Eternity Cure" was just as, if not more, exciting and compelling as that of its preceding novel. The tensions were up-there from page one, and escalated as the story progressed. I just couldn't put the book down; my heart was racing as I sped from one chapter to the next! There are a lot of twists and turns and revelations revealed throughout the novel, and learning more about the disease and the cure and the characters is so, unbelievably exciting. There's never a moment when I wanted to skim over parts of the book because it was boring. Needless to say, I was hooked. Especially by the way it ended! It's such a jaw-dropping, I-knew-it cliffhanger, and I just cannot wait for the next book... Cannot.

Overall, "The Eternity Cure" is a gripping, exciting second installment in the "Blood of Eden" series, with a wonderful cast of characters and a thrilling storyline. I highly, highly recommend this series, and any of Ms. Kagawa's novels, to anyone looking for compelling and well-written YA novels. Now only if the third book will be released soon...as in, tomorrow. But I know the wait will be well worth it!

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment