Sunday, December 23, 2012

Book Review: Angel Fire by L.A. Weatherly

With Christmas fast approaching and the temperature dropping in all its wintry glory, it's really the perfect atmosphere to just curl up in a nice, warm bed with a good book. I was in the mood for some heartwarming romance as well as for some heartstopping action, and, luckily for me, L.A. Weatherly's "Angel Fire", the sequel to "Angel Burn", was ready to read on my new Kindle Fire (!!!). "Angel Fire" picks up right where the first book left off, and hardly ever drops the ball. (Warning: spoilers for "Angel Burn" in the synopsis!)

Willow and Alex are still both on the run, fugitives from their failed attempt at stopping Raziel and the other angels from literally taking over the world. A half-angel and an Angel Killer, or AK for short, isn't the most likely pair, but together, connected by an unbreakable bond of love and trust, they travel to Mexico City to seek refuge. When Alex discovers a group of fledgling AKs, he knows it's up to him to whip them into shape--and fast. The Seraphic Council of Twelve has come to moderate the angels' reckless feeding on the humans, and Raziel is plotting to get rid of them so that he can truly have his way. On top of this, Seb, a mysterious half-angel who's been looking for another of his kind his entire life, shows up one day, and it's only a matter of time before Willow and Alex's life together is put to the ultimate test.

It's always interesting to see how characters change and develop--or don't--in sequels. I do have to admit that I found Willow kind of flat, just like she was in "Angel Burn". Sure, she's nice and likable, but there wasn't anything that made her a particularly awesome or engaging heroine. There's no flaw to her--except for her humanity (wait, that didn't come out right, did it?)--and really she just doesn't change much at all. I think this was one issue I had in the previous book as well. Willow's not too boring, just very static and not very interesting. Alex, on the other hand, was more of a dynamic character than his girlfriend--again, just like in "Angel Burn". I loved how some of the chapters were presented from his point of view, because I felt like I got to know him more as a person rather than simply a strong, romantic hottie from Willow's eyes. Instead, I saw the struggles he faced with all the problems he was presented with: Willow and Seb, Kara, leading the AKs, his past. I definitely think that the person I find myself leaning to more (and this is not because he's male) is Alex, and it's a shame because Willow is a likable character, just boring.

Another character that spiced things up a little bit is Seb. I was a little unsure about how I felt about this obvious love triangle between him, Willow and Alex, but I think Ms. Weatherly did a good job with making sure that their relationships didn't fall into one of those ridiculously annoying triangles where the girl just can't make up her mind and ends up playing with them both. Seb didn't overstep his bounds, and I liked how he's a fresh character--and a half-angel, no less. There were times when his charm and wit did fall flat a little and he became your typical caring guy, but it wasn't too bad.

The plot of "Angel Fire" was quite engaging throughout the entire book, with interesting twists and turns. However, I found myself skimming over a lot of the parts--they simply weren't necessary. There was too much of the characters' thought process, when it would have been a lot more fun and fast-paced if Ms. Weatherly had skipped over or condensed some of this and continued with the next event in the plot. Nonetheless, the storyline wasn't boring, it was just a little slow-paced at some parts. The actual plot was fun and full of action, and I could really visualize what was going on throughout the chapters.

All in all, "Angel Fire" is a decent sequel, with an interesting storyline and cast of new characters that helped spice things up a little. I love Alex and Willow's relationship, which was sweet and believable and didn't fall to the trap of the typical YA romance love triangle. Worth a quick read!

Rating: 3.5/5 (I know I'm being picky with all these half-ratings, but it's what best relays my thoughts!)

No comments:

Post a Comment