Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Book Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Don't you just love a good urban fantasy book? I just finished "The Lost Prince" this morning, and the elated feeling in my chest hasn't gone away yet. The imagination it takes to combine two very dissimilar worlds--in this case the land of faeries and the human world we live in--is no small thing, but its results are all-encompassing. After gobbling down the parent series "The Iron Fey" in just a couple of short weeks, I knew I was enamoured with the world of Nevernever. When I saw that the story was continuing from the heroine's brother's perspective, I think I squealed and did a little shimmy--it's that fun.

Seventeen-year old Ethan Chase isn't your typical bad boy. Sure, he has the rep and the attitude to go with it, but when your life is spent avoiding mischievous fey, nothing is really ever as it seems. Don't look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them. That is Ethan's one unbreakable rule. But when half-breeds and exiled fey begin to disappear from the human world, Ethan must abandon his instincts and seek help from his sister Meghan in the one place he has vowed never to return to: the Nevernever. There, he will meet friends from Meghan's own journey, and make new ones himself as he tries to protect the one girl he never thought he'd dare fall for--and save all fey.

Having read the first "The Iron Fey" series from Meghan's point of view, I found it exciting to be in the mind of her little brother (though not so little anymore!) in the "Call of the Forgotten" series. It's thrilling to see how characters from the previous series have developed and grown, and I'm extremely happy that I won't have to fully say good-bye to Meghan, Ash and Puck yet! The fact that the book was told from a guy's perspective added a fresh twist as well, because it's not really something that you see in many urban fantasy novels. Ethan as a narrator is personal and wry, which gave me a particularly vivid understanding of what he's like: bad-ass but with a caring, more vulnerable side to him. Ms. Kagawa makes it seem as if Ethan's really talking to you as a speaker would to a listener, and this really drew me into the story. I feel like we're somewhat best buds!

The other characters in the novel were equally as fun to be with. I think I'll start off with Razor, even though he's not technically even a main character. I have such a great image of him as an electrical, mechanized Furby, hopping around everywhere and yelling "bad kitty, bad kitty!" in a cute, well, Furby-like voice. He's just such an endearing little critter and makes me wish I had my very own Razor to accompany me on my journeys and such! But moving on. Kenzie to me is a pretty likable character, but not someone I'm dying to meet or anything. She's pretty cool, but at times she just seemed  almost a little annoying with her constant upbeat attitude and stubbornness. Though maybe that makes me a little bit of a cynic or something. Kierran is an incredibly interesting character, with many different facets to him that are revealed throughout the story. After reading "The Iron Prophecy", the 'epilogue novella' to "The Iron Fey" series, I kind of know what may happen sometime in the later books (don't worry, no spoilers!), and I'm curious to see how everything plays out.

Plot-wise, "The Lost Prince" never dipped in tension to make me lose interest. In fact, I became so invested in what was happening that I had to force myself to stop reading at times! Everything is consistently fast-paced, and altogether makes for a fun ride. My one complaint is that the apparent climax of the story was over too quickly--it just seemed like Ethan and his gang got out of the mud too easily, without any major obstacles or trials.

Overall, "The Lost Prince" is a must-read for any urban fantasy lovers out there. With an engaging, interesting narrator, fun characters, fast-paced action and an enchanting world, the "Call of the Forgotten" series is not to be missed! Plus, if you haven't read the first "The Iron Fey" series, I highly recommend reading that first before starting this one. Trust me, you'll whizz through the books in a matter of days--they're that fun.

Rating: 5/5

P.S. If I haven't convinced you enough, check out the book trailer! I love the quite epic soundtrack.


No comments:

Post a Comment